Tuesday, January 17, 2006

BOO!

Yesterday I thought I had nothing to write about (I stole an idea from a friends blog without telling him, tee hee hee) and now I feel like a friggin' knob. I totally forgot that my son and I had a Horror Movie night on the weekend. I feel shame for thinking I had nothing to write about. I'm a turdfarting wing-a-ding (my kid likes that one. Mind you, he has one extra chromosome).

So here we go:

When I was in my late 0's and early 10's, I became fascinated with horror films. That fascination was solidified when my best friend's uncle took us to the movie theatre he owned, sat us in the back row and said "Just watch the movie and keep quiet, I'll be down to get you when I've finished running the film."

That movie was "The Changeling" starring George C Scott. Horror buffs will tell you that its one of the scariest, shit-pants inducing films ever created (hey patriots, it's Canadian too!). What I like about it is there is absolutely no gore, no swearing and no crazy monsters who hate Japan. It's a basic, psychological mind fuck, kid in the attic type flick.

I reached a couple milestones that night:

1) It was the first time I'd ever been to a movie without parental supervision.

2) It was the first time I embraced another dude for an extended period of time.

In retrospect, I don't have a clue what my friend's uncle was thinking but I admit to really enjoying the rush of being terrified and enjoying the comforting warmth that only fresh urine can provide a 12 year old boy. Admittedly, there are alot of shite horror films but when they're good, they're one of the most beautiful works of art on the planet!

Now, my 12 yr. old son was complaining a few weeks back that I'm too strict about what I let him watch (maybe if more parents paid attention to their kids' entertainments, there would be fewer school shootings and less Britney). But I did admire the fact that he came to me and basically said that he was ready to take on some more "meaty" stuff. So I told him that I've been a horror film nerd since I was his age and that we could get the shit scared out of us together. I tell ya, he was into it like Ridley Scott's Alien was into John Hurt!

So we rented 2 movies as a sort of 'beginners course.' We had to start with Dracula (I thought we'd rent an old version like Nosferatu or Bella Lagosi's but the kids today need modern effects and crap and stuff) so I rented Bram Stoker's Dracula with Gary Oldman, Keanu Reeves (the only thing scarier than Dracula puking blood was Reeves' performance) and Anthony Hopkins. Sean (my kid) loved it! He didn't find it scary but he did like the story and managed to not be bothered by the pace of the film which can be a bit slow sometimes and I think he really enjoyed the copious amounts of nudity as well.

I was proud.

Then we watched the second movie, The Excorsism of Emily Rose. I'm not going to get into how I felt about the film (I'm soo jaded) but this movie to him was like The Changeling to me. He hugged his pillow, jumped in all the right places, claimed to have to pee after every scary scene and wouldn't stop talking about black stuff coming out of people's eyes.

It was a good night. We hung out and we shared something we both like. I can't wait til he's 18 and we break out the Bong!

K, bye for now.

1 comment:

Greg Stewart said...

I thought to let my sons watch the 1980's remake of the blob (they are 8 and 9) and 15 minutes into it i had to cut it off as the first victum was being dissolved in a god awful mess of ooze and goo. I think I'll wait until their 12-ish...